I found this bit of news on the YWAM Belize web-site and made some follow up enquiries about the fire and what is happening with the rebuilding. Despite the fact that the fire happened almost exactly a year ago ow the YWAM Belize centre is still without a proper kitchen block and is working on raising the funds to build a new one.
Here is the story of the fire from Alyssa, who has been on staff with YWAM Belize for the last five years:
The story of the kitchen fire is actually quite interesting, it occurred a year ago this week (1 year anniversary). We are operating in a temporary kitchen and although it serves us well we have yet to begin rebuilding. We are in need of funds and skilled workers to build it. We also see this as a chance to build it even better (since the former one was over 20 years old). We would like to expand it a bit for our ever-increasing demand.
Story in nut shell…
All the staff of the base was headed some 2 hours away for a staff retreat. Our director’s phone rang when we reached our destination asking if we were burning something on our base. A neighbourhood pastor was passing by and noticed the smoke. We had a couple on base, Mission Builders, who were desperately searching for what they could do. Our director turned right back around and headed to the base to take care of the damages.
Upon arriving at the base he found the entire kitchen burned to the ground. Some iron pots were salvaged but nothing else. The blaze had complications … a local butane company came to fill up the big butane tank for the kitchen, not being aware of the open-flamed water heater close by. An explosion happened … the worker’s hand was burned but no injuries beyond that.
In short- we are still in need of funds to rebuild.
You can read more about the ministry of YWAM Belize, the fire and how you can give on their web-site here.